Sunday, March 14, 2010

iPhone vs others

I am the proud owner of an iPhone, and I have enjoyed it every moment I have had it. In fact, I stood in line for 6+ hours for the first iPhone (iPhone 2G) and even got myself up at 6am to wait for the 9am release of the iPhone 3G. The 3Gs however, I did not wake up for.

In the two and a half years time since the original iPhone was released with a "revolutionary new multi-touch system, and breakthrough internet device" the idea of combining these two features into phones has sky-rocketted. It seems like everyone and their cousin has an iPhone or some type of multi-touch device. There are the few proud users who remain loyal to the blackberry and other button featured phones, but that market is rapid dwindling.

As it is time for my mom to purchase a new phone, I thought I would share a few ideas about the mobile phone market. My mom, not being a technologically gifted person, wants a phone that is easy to use, has a nice screen, with big buttons. She doesn't really want a lot a features, but wouldn't mind being able to show off pictures and read her email, and until recently check facebook. So for me, I have petitioned her to get the iPhone. My reasoning is logical I think. First off, the iPhone hands down has the best features of any phone that AT&T sells and for my mom, since my Dad and I already have an iPhone she would make the family complete. Because there is still the financial aspect to the convincing, I must also remind my mom that iPhone's cost is just slightly higher when one does the math. First off, what is now becoming standard and I think a little much of price gauging by wireless telecom services is that beyond the most basic junker in the store, you must buy a "data plan". These data plans are universally priced for all phones for the most part, ie whether you have a cell phone that barely does more than text from the internet or an iPhone/blackberry that shows the whole page. So, with that said, if you are going to pay the same price, wouldn't you at least want a phone that could capitalize on every last bit of the data plan you are paying for?

For my mom, I think this is her best option. What does everyone else think?

Jeff


2 comments:

  1. True, but I know my parents are sometimes technology challenged (Lol) and like to keep it simpler with their phones. My mom has a touch phone right now from Verizon and has many difficulties with it. Now I know you might say that it's because it's Verizon, but her difficulties seem to be finding where everything is, and learning how to use it. The iPhone is a great tool, but from my experiences, it can sometimes be a little confusing for a new user. Maybe it just isn't for everyone.
    At the same time, the iPhone is revolutionary, and extremely useful. For certain people.
    And it truly would "complete" your families phone lines.:)

    ReplyDelete